Professor in Radiopharmacy (Ghent University, Brussels)
Published on: February 24, 2023
→ Apply until 20/03/2023 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Discipline: Radiopharmacy
→ 100% Assistant professor tenure track / Associate professor / Full professor / Senior full professor
→ Reference number: 202301/FW/BOF-ZAP/002
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto “Dare to Think”. Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
This vacancy concerns a position as member of the tenured academic staff with a focus on research. Candidates should demonstrate scientific excellence based on criteria of scientific quality, as reflected, among other things, in publications in journals and books with international visibility and in the proposed scientific research in the research plan.
The position, funded by the Special Research Fund, is granted the privilege of focusing primarily on research for a period of 5 years. During that period the teaching load will be limited to no more than 8 ECTS credits per semester on average over a period of 3 years.
For the further development of the academic career, please see ‘Appointment information’ below.
You lecture course units in the discipline of radiopharmacy/radiochemistry and molecular imaging. These course units may be part of programmes in our faculty, but also from other faculties (e.g. Medicine and Health Sciences, or Engineering). Specific teaching assignments may evolve over time according to the needs of the faculty.
You conduct research in the discipline of radiopharmacy with a focus on the synthesis as well as the in vitro and in vivo evaluation of new diagnostic and therapeutic radioligands. Your research will preferably involve both small molecules and labelled bio-molecules.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the department FW02 Pharmaceutical Analysis. You collegially make yourself available for the multitude of tasks which are an inherent part of the day-to-day functioning of a faculty, a department and the various educational programmes organized by the faculty.
- You have experience in the development, synthesis, quality control, and in vitro and in vivo evaluation of PET/SPECT/theranostic labelled small molecules and/or bio-molecules;
- You have already conducted excellent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in outstanding publications in national and international peer-reviewed books and/or journals;
- You have experience in supervising research and/or coaching of doctoral students;
- You have experience in acquiring competitively granted funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop and achieve academic competences;
- You are able to translate your research background into your academic teaching activities;
- Recommended are:
- Knowledge of translational research from the bench to the first in human application of radioactive tracers;
- International mobility, among other research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- Proven collaboration with other research groups;
- Experience in academic teaching which was/is positively evaluated;
- Additional training in educational skills;
- Experience in activating teaching methods in an academic setting;
- You are familiar with the field of pharmaceutical sciences in its broadest sense.
- You must master the language of instruction in which you will teach a course at CEFR- level C1.You can demonstrate this by means of a language certificate or a diploma obtained from an institution in which that language is the language of instruction. In addition, Article II.270, §1 of the Codex of Higher Education requires that: (i) you must master the Dutch language at least at CEFR-level A2 within two years after the start of the appointment. (ii) you must be able to master the Dutch language at least at CEFR-level of B2 within five years after the start of the appointment. More info: Language requirements at Ghent University for professorial staff — Ghent University (ugent.be)
Skills / Attitude
- You have a passion for scientific research and for leading a team of researchers in an academic setting;
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You are scientifically creative;
- You have an organisational talent;
- You are a team player with good communication skills, able to inspire students and colleagues;
- You are flexible and you possess an open mind towards the changes inherent to a dynamic academic environment.
You hold a master degree and a thesis-based doctorate in the field of pharmaceutical sciences, (bio)medical sciences, chemistry, life sciences or (bio-)engineering with a focus on radiopharmacy/radiochemistry or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 September 2023. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor, full professor or senior full professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
In the case of assistant professor TT
- We offer you a temporary appointment as an assistant professor in a tenure track system for a term of five years with a focus on research. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor. At that moment the time devoted to research, education and academic services may be altered.
In the case of associate professor, full professor or senior full professor
- We offer you a permanent appointment in the starting grade of associate professor, full professor or senior full professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education. During the first period of 5 years, your focus is primarily on research. Subsequently, the time devoted to research, education and academic services may be altered.
Recruitment will be from 1 September 2023.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy – at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/work/mobility-career/career-aspects/professorial-staff.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/work/talent.
Candidates who are newly appointed at Ghent University with an appointment as autonomous academic staff of at least 50% or candidates whose appointment as autonomous academic staff at Ghent University is increased to a minimum of 50% receive a Starting Grant of €220.000 to contribute towards the personnel, operating and/or equipment costs of establishing a research team.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance in which a maximum of 60% of the academic staff with a PhD degree is of the same gender. Female applications are thus especially welcomed. As long as this goal is not achieved at the level of the group of scientific disciplines involved, the university board will in principle, for positions within this group, give priority to candidates of the underrepresented gender but only in case of equal qualifications of the applicants. This priority is neither automatic nor unconditional; the personal situation of each candidate needs to be taken into consideration in the evaluation at all times.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty selection committee appointed for this vacancy.
After a pre-selection on the basis of the application files submitted, the selection committee will organise an interview with the remaining candidates to discuss their vision and plans regarding education, research and services. A trial lecture or a presentation on a subject in the relevant field will be organised.
Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the Research Council for advice and subsequently be sent to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their 5 most impactful academic achievements. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, maternal/parental leave, care leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late or incomplete applications, or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Application form’: the BOF professorial staff application form, in addition a text explaining your vision on academic education (max. 1,5 pages), a written long term vision on research and a 5-year research plan (together max. 5 pages). All these documents should be focused on the above mentioned discipline(s) and be aligned with the strategic goals of the faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences in respect to these disciplines (1). All documents should be merged into one file of maximum 10 MB.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format.
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a copy of your doctoral diploma. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession). For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
(1) Information can be obtained from the contact mentioned below.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Tom Coenye (tom.coenye@UGent.be, +32 09/264 81 41) at the faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, department FW02.
To apply for this job email your details to tom.coenye@UGent.be