Research project leader on radiation induced health effects – SCK CEN, Mol, Belgium
Published on: April 25, 2022
Helping to further develop a key component in having insight to cure diseases? Your research in radiation-induced health effects matters!
The Radiobiology research team performs research to better understand the impact of ionising radiation on human health (https://www.sckcen.be/en/expertises/health).
An important research area in our Radiobiology team is the development of strategies to identify and implement (novel) sensitive technologies for assessing disease initiation and long-term health effects as well as (individual) responses to radiation therapy. The application of various molecular, cellular, histopathological and microscopy methodologies is central to elucidate the radiation response of various types of healthy tissues and tumors. Our research also serves to ensure the radiation protection of astronauts in view of long-term manned space missions. We have a main focus on the central nervous and , cardiovascular system as well as cancer effects .
We are looking for a research project leader to join our radiobiology team and contribute to the research on effects of radiation therapy on human health with a particular focus on the central nervous and cardiovascular systems
- In concertation and collaboration with the radiobiology team, you develop a strong own thriving research programme on the effects of ionising radiation with a focus on the central nervous and cardiovascular systems and effects of radiation therapy .
- You participate in the design and execution of experimental studies devoted to in vitro, in vivo as well as clinical research
- You will develop a panel of cellular and tissue methodologies to assess the potential effects of radiation on healthy and cancer tissues.
- You write and submit project proposals together with academic, clinical and industrial partners and act as a project coordinator.
- You analyse data and present the results during in-house meetings and external scientific conferences.
- You publish the research in high-quality journals.
- You draft PhD projects and guide PhD and MSc students as well as lab technicians.
To join this frontier, you’ll need
- PhD or equivalent in biology, biomedical, bioengineering sciences or pharmacy or MD
- Knowledge of molecular & cellular biology
- Relevant professional experience in biology and/or clinical research
- Ability to develop a thriving research programme
- Ability to initiate and maintain collaborations with multidisciplinary internal teams and external academic, clinical and industrial partners
- Expertise in project proposal development and project coordination
- Good communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Creative, enthusiastic and result driven mind-set
- Good knowledge of English, Dutch or French
As a plus:
- 5 years or more experience in post-PhD research
- Knowledge in radiobiology and global radiation protection
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Relevant professional experience of conducting preclinical trials in general
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and high-dimensional data analysis
- Knowledge of clinical ethical file preparation
- FELASA Cat C certificate or equal
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com